When it comes to choosing domain names there are a multitude of factors that you are going to need to bear in mind. On this page I want to discuss a little bit with you about how you can choose the best domain names for your business.
When it comes to selecting the best domain names for your business then there are two main routes that you can go down (assuming that you are going to be registering a brand new domain name):
- The most popular option is to choose a domain name which describes your business perfectly. For example, if you are lawyers in a city somewhere then you may want to have a domain like www.lawyersintownname.com. This is fantastic because people know exactly what they are going to get when they land on your page. As you can probably guess, search engines such as Google will also take a little look at the domain name when deciding where to rank sites in the search engine results. It doesn’t have as much as an effect as it did so in the past, but it does help.
- The second option is to ‘brand’ your website. This means giving it a name that isn’t necessarily related to your business. An example of a popular online brand is ‘Amazon’. This company started out as booksellers, but as you can tell from the name this isn’t something that mentions books at all. If you are looking to build a huge website then I do suggest that you look into a name that you can brand. It will be much better for you in the long run.
Of course, when you are choosing the best domain names you cannot choose something and hope for the best. There are various things that you are going to need to bear in mind including:
- How easy the website address is to remember. If it is more than a couple of words then a customer will never return as it will fall out of their memory. The shorter the better really! (This is why I suggest names that are easy to brand)
- Not similar to other websites. There are two reasons for this. Firstly you don’t want to be accused of breaching the trademark of another company. Secondly you don’t want to lose your traffic to this other company. Therefore the best domain names are going to be ones which are completely unique to you.
- Choose a domain name that has your country extension (.com, .co.uk, .se etc.). These are the best domain names if you are trying to rank in certain countries. Use .com if you aren’t going to be targeting a specific location.
As you can see, when it comes to choosing the best domain names there is a lot that you are going to need to bear in mind. Thankfully though, the more effort you put in to choosing the right name, the more likely you are to find something absolutely perfect. If you find something perfect then you are already well on your way to establishing a successful website.